Air Quality Analyst
Do you possess strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills and are looking to join a dynamic team of environmental professionals dedicated to protecting clean air in Ontario? If so, then consider this exciting opportunity with the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- provide scientific air quality expertise for the regional air quality assessment programs;
- evaluate impacts, and make recommendations for the protection of air quality;
- design statistical frameworks for analyzing, interpreting and presenting on air monitoring data;
- monitor project progress and quality; and
- provide policy advice and guidance to internal and external clients.
How do I qualify?
- Valid G Class Ontario Driver's Licence
- You have a degree with specialization in disciplines such as Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Atmospheric Sciences or Mathematics
Environmental and Technical Knowledge
- You have knowledge of and experience in applying the theories, principles and practices of mathematics, chemistry, statistics and meteorology applicable to atmospheric physics and chemistry, air pollutant dispersion, and air quality assessment and management.
- You have knowledge and experience that will enable you to analyse and synthesize all relevant material (technical reports, submitted scientific information, field survey/sample data, inspection/investigation reports and photographs, file material, scientific literature) in preparing reports defining potential environmental impacts, including exceedances of health/environmental-based standards and guidelines and making appropriate recommendations.
- You have experience applying appropriate scientific knowledge and criteria for proper siting of monitoring equipment to assess air quality.
- You have knowledge of the selection of appropriate instrumentation and lab methods to assess air borne contaminants and support industries involved in air quality self-monitoring.
- You have experience and expertise that enables you to interpret and analyze highly technical scientific data to recognize data anomalies and to relate them to atmospheric processes.
- You know environmental and air legislation (e.g. Environmental Protection Act), policies, and regulations (e.g. air quality standards, environmental approvals processes).
- You can plan, coordinate, evaluate and implement air quality assessment surveys and the Source Emission Monitoring Program.
- You have experience in experimental design, research techniques, survey design, and field investigations methods.
- You are able to identify issues and make recommendations for remedial action.
Communication and Computer Skills
- You collaborate well with internal and external staff and diverse interest groups.
- You have strong interpersonal and communication skills to prepare technical reports and present highly technical information to multi-disciplinary environmental teams, managers, and the public.
- You work well with others and foster good relationships.
- You can draft a variety of written materials including scientific reports, correspondence, briefing notes, etc.
- You have strong skills and experience using computers and related software (e.g. spreadsheets, database, modeling, statistical and graphics software).
Salary Range: $1,356.94 - $1,722.28 per week
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 1259 Gardiners Rd, Kingston, East Region
Please apply online, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 108834, by Friday, June 23, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.